Friday, September 12, 2008

Intro to French Men 101 - Part deux

So to continue where I left off about the french guy, It Ain't seemed quite interested.  I mentioned that I lost my itunes library when I changed computers and he invited me over to get some of his music.  Dude had a ton of music!  He's a real music lover, had really great music in his library and a wide range too so that really got my attention.  He also gave me a ton of stuff to help furnish my room, you know just being an over-all gentleman so when he asked me out to dinner that friday I definitely had no hesitations.  
He didn't tell me where we were going to go, just that it was in Paris and that I should dress 'fancy' so I was even more excited.  The week continued with phone calls, text mesages, random visits and all that silly flirty stuff that in my mind made me build up the date even more. At the most I guessed we would probably do dinner and visit a really nice hotel because earlier we had a conversation about boutique hotels.  I just got this feeling that he spent a good deal of effort trying to plan a nice time for us...boy was I right!  So friday morning I got a really sweet text message from him in which he also mentioned that he got a car for the evening so he could pick me up from school whenever I was done and bring me back home before we head out to Paris.  Ok I'm digging this :)  

But then unfortunately things took a turn in the wrong direction after this point...you just have to keep reading.  So I had to stay late in school that day, working on a group project and I didn't make it back home till about 11pm, the whole time he was texting me to ask where I was and when I would be done and I was feeling bad about messing up plans especially since I had gotten kinda tired and wasn't feeling up to going out anymore.  When we were done, I got a ride back home, and headed to his room first to break it to him that I didn't want to go out anymore ( I thought this would be nicer in person than over the phone), and he's like yeah we missed the dinner reservation and its too late for dinner now, but we could still go out for drinks and stuff...and here's the kicker - he tells me that it was supposed to be a surprise, but that I should pack an overnight bag because he got a hotel room in paris for me!!!  With my slow self, I'm still like hmmm...a hotel room...I head to my room and on the way back it hits me like, wait does he realize what that means?  I call D who has lived in France before and is more knowledgeable about the culture so maybe I was just over-reacting but she pretty much felt the same way.  So I call him back to decline this rather 'tempting' invitation, he actually didn't sound surprised, he apologized and explained why he thought a hotel was a good idea - he wanted to maximize the time in paris, didn't want me to worry about getting back home really late, etc.  But I'm thinking what was the car for then, and if he meant well why won't he have asked me in advance if I was ok with getting a hotel room.  Lets just say I dodged a big one there by being a dilligent student and working late with my group because otherwise I would have been out with him and probably after dinner, he would have told me about this bright idea of his and it would not have been pleasant.   Thank God, is all I can say.

The next day I got a text from him inviting me to go tour chateau de versailles but I was in class and didn't respond until later in the evening and in the response I mentioned that D and M would want to come too.  Well that def didn't get me a response until about later in the night so he maybe he had some plans at versailles too. Who knows, the whole thing was just a little weird, not sure how to anaylze it all so I'm just taking it as a good story to tell.  

Anyway thats the framework of my experience with french men so far...they come on really strong.  But we'll see what happens next.  Tomorrow we're all going away for our integration weekend...so fun!  It was organized by the student association of the program who are students in their 2nd year and so a few 2nd year students will be coming.   I am excited to go away, we don't know where we're going, just that its another region in France. Everyone is hoping its the south, for nicer weather but I'll just be glad to discover a new place.  And of course I'll let you know all the interesting occurrences. LOL.

8 comments:

Number4 said...

Olodo!!! Get used to romantic men....lol lol....maybe the hotel room thing was really just a thoughtful/sweet gesture so you wouldn't have to worry about going home late..........hmmmmmmmmm! LOLLLLLLLL

... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
... said...

wait ohh...didn't you say earlier that you wanted to visit a really nice hotel? did you just want to visit it like a field trip or you wanted to spend the night? The man was most likely trying to be nice (LOL)but should have waited a bit longer to pull out that whole gesture so it won't be lost in translation. Off to a good start lady!

purefiyah said...

Dams you are killing me here!! pure hilarity! woo hoo havent read anything so refreshing in a minute. For once it doesnt sound like razz naija gist! lol

Tizzle_Speaks said...

ooh la la

sounds like swirl society --- :(

Trop jalouse...mais pendant ce temps - il a un frere?

Sassy Miss said...

OMG - we miss you here!

Sounds like you're having an experience that's fit for a novel. Totally jealous. I'd love to come and visit. I'm so glad that school is keeping you busy and you're not totally getting lost in the whole European romance thing; and by that, I mean, falling in love with the city so much so that you don't want to do anything but totally immerse yourself in the culture.

Guess where I'm headed in a few - a budget meeting!

I'm so glad you put up a blog and you're documenting your experience, so we can live it with you too!

Dami said...

lol at all the coments...

number 4 - i thought i had an inkling of what 'romantic men' are supposed to be like but this definitely surpasses my imagination.

chi- yeah we talked about boutique hotels before which is a given since we're in a hotel program but that was taking the practical aspect a bit too far men!

purefiyah - lol,razz naija gist...i'll try not to let you down

tola - lol, desolee, il n'a pas un frere...il a deux soeur mais i think thats a good thing

bananas - hey you, thanks. yeah school will definitely be keeping me busy for the next few months...but i'll still try as much as possible to fall in love with europe :)

Revolutionary Petunia said...

Dami, I'm loving this blog, so hilarious, almost feels like I'm in France myself! Seems like dude had good intentions, but his research should have told him "surprise" hotel on the first date don't really fly with a Naija American girl!lol
Looking forward to more!